Re: NANFA-L-- Freshwater mummichogs and salt

Moontanman-in-aol.com
Mon, 17 Jan 2005 04:42:20 EST

--part1_11.3ce139e7.2f1ce27c_boundary

In a message dated 1/17/05 1:30:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jbosmith-in-gmail.com writes:

> What I was worried about was the tank itself. Dumping a bunch of salt
> in a freshwater tank kills the bio filter. All of the bacteria doesn't
> die-in-exactly the same salinity, however, so if you go slowly and
> give new bacteria time to form, the bio filter as a whole adjusts.
>
> Jim

This is true but again mummichogs are indeed pretty much proof against this
as well. I have used them to condition biofilters and they do very well-in-very
high ammonia levels, actually they didn't seem to be affected-in-all and went
about eating and other behaviors as though nothing was wrong. But the
immediate high levels of salt are death on most parasites. Mollies can be done this
way as well to kill parasites, some fish of course cannot stand this but I've
found that going to heavy salt quickly is less difficult for the fish than the
opposite of course this just applies to inter tidal fish and shouldn't be seen
as acceptable to purely freshwater fish.

Michael Hissom (AKA Moon)
Lower Cape Fear River, Waccamaw Lake and river system, and coastal salt water
and brackish water estuaries in the same location. (South Eastern North
Carolina)

--part1_11.3ce139e7.2f1ce27c_boundary

What I was worried about was th= e tank itself. Dumping a bunch of salt
in a freshwater tank kills the bio filter. All of the bacteria doesn't
die-in-exactly the same salinity, however, so if you go slowly and
give new bacteria time to form, the bio filter as a whole adjusts.

Jim

This is true but again mummichogs are indeed pretty much proof against this=20= as well. I have used them to condition biofilters and they do very well-in-v= ery high ammonia levels, actually they didn't seem to be affected-in-all and= went about eating and other behaviors as though nothing was wrong. But the=20= immediate high levels of salt are death on most parasites. Mollies can be do= ne this way as well to kill parasites, some fish of course cannot stand this= but I've found that going to heavy salt quickly is less difficult for the f= ish than the opposite of course this just applies to inter tidal fish and sh= ouldn't be seen as acceptable to purely freshwater fish.

--part1_11.3ce139e7.2f1ce27c_boundary-- /----------------------------------------------------------------------- / This is the discussion list of the North American Native Fishes / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about NANFA, / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all posts to nanfa-l are / consistent with the guidelines as per / http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/guidelines.html To subscribe, / unsubscribe, or get help, visit the NANFA email list home page and / archive-in-http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/