Re: NANFA-L-- Big female red shiner turns red-blue

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 13:00:46 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 anutej-in-loxinfo.co.th wrote:

> I had observed that some female red shiners I have grow big and change
> their coloration from silvery to light bluish with reddish cap similar
> to male [but less intense]. Is this normal in nature too?

I've noticed in Red River populations that some females have a little red
on their fins, and not necessarily larger ones. I think it is totally
normal. And I think some individuals tend to have a little more bluey hue
than others too. Anyway, what you describe sounds normal to me.

Cheers
Peter Unmack
Canadian River, Oklahoma