Re: NANFA-L-- labor services and stream cleaning

Todd D. Crail (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 17:27:54 -0500

I had a potential site for my study ripped open like you describe last year
on Bear Creek, a trib of Tenmile Creek/Ottawa River. Vegetative channel
intrusion and succession had buffered a nice sinous, stable channel, the
subsurface tiles still drained into the channel... And they cut down all the
vegetation and cut the channel into a V. Now it's a big silted mess now
with a bazillion mini culverts forming in the sides. The fescue they seeded
in didn't grow well with the marginal drought and we're having "warmer,
wetter" like no tomorrow right now.

With all the erosion they force, that volume of channel is lost _somewhere_,
if anywhere, into the bottom of that V where they spent all that money
digging it out. And if it is going to flood out, might as well flood onto a
farm field instead of, um, in Toledo. OF course they built the walls so
high in Toledo so it can't flood and contributes to one of the
dag-nasty-iest sediment plumes you're going to see anywhere east of the
Great Plains. Gotta keep them Jeeps dry! ;)

It's an uphill battle to get people to see this... why high, straight soil
banks fall in. The engineers just seem to want think in terms of concrete,
and this ain't concrete. Although... let's not give them any ideas, as
Bruce foreshadowed ;)

Silly Laws of Thermodynamics... They're so inconvenient sometimes.

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com