NANFA-L-- RE: Collecting native fish in Arkansas for sale

Wagner, Brian K. (bkwagner-in-agfc.state.ar.us)
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:38:24 -0600

There is a "Commercial Baitfish Tackle License" that is required to take baitfish from public waters for commercial purposes. There is also a "Fish Dealer License" required to sell fish. Baitfish are defined as Minnows (including bluntnose minnows, bullhead minnows, chubs, crayfish, dace, fatheads, common carp under 6 inches, small goldfish, shiners, and stonerollers), logperch (also called sand pike or zebra minnows), shad, gar (other than alligator gar), drum, bowfin under 6 inches, skipjack herring, silversides (brook and inland), buffalo (bigmouth, smallmouth, and black), river carpsucker, sculpin (banded and Ozark) and bream (Lepomis) 4" and under. These are the only species that there is a chance of being permitted to collect for sale (except for commercial fishing for sales as food). There are also certain waters closed to commercial bait harvest and there is a prohibition on exporting baitfish taken from public waters.

While we have worked to make regulations liberal for taking and keeping native fish by private individuals, commercial exploitation is very restricted.

Hope this information helps clarify. I can send the actual code language if anyone needs it.

Brian Wagner
Nongame Aquatics Biologist
Arkansas Game & Fish Commission
915 East Sevier Street
Benton, AR 72015
(877)847-2690
bkwagner-in-agfc.state.ar.us

------------------------------original message: ------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:54:04 -0600 (CST)
From: "Brian J. Torreano" <headdarter-in-btdarters.com>
Subject: NANFA-L-- Collecting native fish in Arkansas for sale

Hi all! Got a quick question for the group. A friend of mine in Arkansas
told me that this week he was told by the Fish and Game Commission that it
is illegal to collect native fish in Arkansas for the purpose of selling
them. Is this true? Any and all information would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Brian