Re: NANFA-L-- Precipitate

Peter Unmack (peter.lists at)
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:14:21 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, geoffrey kimber wrote:

> Yes, I know I could just use thiosulfate and let my biofoilter handle
> the ammonia, but I just don't like that approach.

We've had these discussions on the rainbowfish lists a couple of times
(can search for them via http://peter.unmack.net/archive/rml/index.html ).
There isn't enough chloromine to raise ammonia high enough to bother
anything. And whatever ammonia may be released is "eaten" by your filter
so fast that you'll never even be able to measure it. I've never heard
anyone report any problems with thiosulfate and ammonia either.

>From my understanding, most (all?) chlorine/chloromine removers use
thiosulfate as their primary ingredient. What do they do, if anything, to
also remove ammonia?

Tootles
Peter