NANFA-L-- Re: { SPAM 1 }::nanfa-l-digest V1 #445

Charles Ray (raychah-in-auburn.edu)
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:35:54 -0600

>Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:21:59 -0500
>From: "Patrick Rose" <pncwd-in-picusnet.com>
>Subject: NANFA-L-- What the ______ are these
>
>I have never seen anything like this before. My thoughts are that they are
>some sorta leeches but I really dont know.
>I found them while I was cleaning out my daphina pool today. Needless to say
>there has been a decline in my daphina. I dont think these guys had anything
>to do with it but again I dont know.
>
>http://users.adelphia.net/~pncwd/images/what01.jpg
>http://users.adelphia.net/~pncwd/images/what02.jpg
>http://users.adelphia.net/~pncwd/images/what03.jpg
>
>Anyone know, or has anyone seen them before.

Rat-tailed maggots, a type of insect larvae. Rattailed maggots feed on
decaying organic matter in stagnant water or moist excrement. See
http://ipm.ncsu.edu/AG369/notes/rattailed_maggots.html for more
information. Feed them to your larger fish.

Charles Ray
The Mighty Uphapee Drainage