Re: NANFA-L-- Sipsey, Alabama, trip

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Sipsey, Alabama, trip
From: Michael Wolfe (mwolfe-in-mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 20:22:00 CDT

I'm sure that Casper will put something out on the list soon that will do a
much better job of describing the snorkeling that we did-in-the Sipsey, but
let me just say that it was incredible. Yes we did snorkel right there at
Borden creek and yes, I did get rather surprised by the only foot long fish
going by me-in-warp speed. We also snorkeled on the main Sipsey which was
not as rich a habitat (at lest not over the bedrock stream bed portion that
we were at... but we did see turtles and shell crackers and Coosa Bass and
Log perch and.. well you get the idea that we did see a lot of great fish.
On Sunday, we snorkeled another location that turned out to be the best.
Not only did we see an even greater density of fish and an even greater
variety, but by that time we had Dave Neely along and he electro shocked up
a few examples of things we thought we had seen, but were not really sure
until he was able to capture them for us and we got an up close look.

Other highlights of the trip included picking up my copy of the new Fishes
of Alabama... thanks Casper for doing a group buy and saving some of us the
extra shipping and handling.

But the biggest highlight had to be the food. Now you may be thinking...
how can the food have been that great when they were out primitive
camping... well let me tell you... if you ever have the opportunity to have
Fellow Snorkelmeister cook for you... DO NOT pass it up!!! Stott collected
wild mushrooms of a couple of varieties and Casper cooked them up with
onions, another time as a side dish, another time with a pound of bacon in
the camp omelette that will the stuff of legend for generations to come.

Michael Wolfe
North Georgia
Drainage... oh it's nothing, I'm sure it's just allergies!

: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:21:35 CDT