NANFA-L-- Re: Clear Creek TN

Gerald Pottern (gbpottern-in-yahoo.com)
Tue, 12 Jul 2005 11:18:59 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1449038769-1121192339=:90887

Clear Creek sounds alot like Mills River-in-NC-191, Henderson Co NC (13 miles S of Asheville) - clear & rocky with lush carpets of riverweed (Podostemum) - loads of minnows & darters. No tangerines, but most of the others Matt listed, plus swannonoa, gilt, greenfin, & banded darters; saffron, tennessee, & mirror shiner; bigeye & blotched chubs, longnose dace, golden redhorse, hogsucker, trout ... probably hellbenders too, though i didnt look for them. Pretty chilly even in summer.
Easy access on the south bank from Mills River Road (west side of 191).

Gerald Pottern
Hangin on the Neuse
Wake Forest NC

From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On
Behalf Of
matt ashton
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 3:05 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: NANFA-L-- Tangerines by the bushells

Excuse the bad pun by connecting fish to fruit but I had to. So instead of
collecting today I headed out with another TN Tech student to snorkel
in tributaries of the Emory River, specifically Clear Creek, in search of
Spotfin Chubs. Calling Clear Creek clear is really an understatement,
they could call it Gin Creek if they wanted to. For the most part the river
width averaged 40 to 50 ft and was comprised of boulder bedrock pools
and runs and boulder cobble riffles. At our first stop the second I was in
the water there were fish all around and very active and curious. We
snorkeled upstream about a half a mile threw a couple small riffles and long runs
and one very large pool. In nearly every area of habitat there were
schools of Whitetail shiners, Warpaint shiners, and Telescope shiners. Everynow
and then in a eddy we came across a large school of Stonerollers and River
chubs. I also saw some of the largest Greens! ide darters ever today
along the margins of the swifter water. Tangerine darters were probably the
third or fourth most visible fish, over the whole length of the site,
moving in small schools of 3-12 fish. Most were not in full color but usually
every 1 in 20 was. It doesnt sound like a great number but for the day
I saw well over several hundred.

Our second site was more of the same shiner species in high abundance
and Tangerine darters also in very high numbers. Spotfins had been found
there in the past but unfortunately we did not see any. The best part of this
site was how we entered the water. At the base of the hill where we parked
there were some very large stones slopping down about 50 ft, and hanging over
the water close to 10 feet, to the water which was a big circular pool that
was-in-least 20 ft deep. About halfway down the rock we got running starts
downhill and jumped right on in.

Todd this is definately some place you might be interested in seeing
Tangerines in the Emory watershed. The access was beyond great, the
water was gin clear, and the fish are everywhere.

Species list - Clear Creek - 7/9/05
Tangerine Darter
Greenside Darter
Redline Darter
Stoneroller
River Chub
Warpaint Shiner
Whitetail Shiner
Telescope Shiner
Smallmouth Bass
Spotted Bass

http://mail.yahoo.com
--0-1449038769-1121192339=:90887

<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:SmartTagType<br><o:SmartTagType ="<br"><o:SmartTagType ="<br"><o:SmartTagType ="<br"><o:SmartTagType ="<br">
<DIV id=3DidOWAReplyText43050 dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Clear Creek sounds alot like Mills River-in-NC-191, Henderson Co NC (13 miles S of Asheville) - clear &amp; rocky&nbsp;with lush carpets of riverweed (Podostemum) - loads of minnows &amp; darters. No tangerines, but most of the others Matt listed, plus swannonoa, gilt, greenfin, &amp; banded darters; saffron, tennessee, &amp; mirror&nbsp;shiner; bigeye &amp; blotched chubs,&nbsp;longnose dace, golden redhorse, hogsucker, trout&nbsp;... probably hellbenders too, though i didnt look for them.&nbsp; Pretty chilly even in summer.</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Easy access on the south bank from Mills River Road (west side of 191).</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Gerald Pottern</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Hangin on the Neuse</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>Wake Forest NC</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>From: <A href="http://us.f326.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org&amp;YY=63245&amp;order=down&amp;sort=date&amp;pos=0&amp;view=a&amp;head=b"><FONT color=#003399>owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org</FONT></A> [<A href="http://us.f326.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org&amp;YY=63245&amp;order=down&amp;sort=date&amp;pos=0&amp;view=a&amp;head=b"><FONT color=#003399>owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org</FONT></A>] On <BR>Behalf Of<BR>matt ashton<BR>Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 3:05 PM<BR>To: <A href="http://us.f326.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org&amp;YY=63245&amp;order=down&amp;sort=date&amp;pos=0&amp;view=a&amp;head=b"><FONT color=#003399>nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org</FONT></A><
search of<BR>Spotfin Chubs.&nbsp; Calling Clear Creek clear is really an understatement, <BR>they could call it Gin Creek if they wanted to.&nbsp; For the most part the river<BR>width averaged 40 to 50 ft and was comprised of boulder bedrock pools <BR>and runs and boulder cobble riffles.&nbsp; At our first stop the second I was in <BR>the water there were fish all around and very active and curious.&nbsp; We <BR>snorkeled upstream about a half a mile threw a couple small riffles and long runs <BR>and one very large pool.&nbsp; In nearly every area of habitat there were <BR>schools of Whitetail shiners, Warpaint shiners, and Telescope shiners.&nbsp; Everynow <BR>and then in a eddy we came across a large school of Stonerollers and River<BR>chubs. I also saw some of the largest Greens! ide darters ever today <BR>along the margins of&nbsp; the swifter water.&nbsp; Tangerine darters were probably the<BR>third or fourth most visible fish, over the whole length of the site, <BR>moving in
small schools of 3-12 fish.&nbsp; Most were not in full color but usually<BR>every 1 in 20 was.&nbsp; It doesnt sound like a great number but for the day <BR>I saw well over several hundred.<BR><BR>Our second site was more of the same shiner species in high abundance <BR>and Tangerine darters also in very high numbers.&nbsp; Spotfins had been found <BR>there in the past but unfortunately we did not see any. The best part of this <BR>site was how we entered the water.&nbsp; At the base of the hill where we parked <BR>there were some very large stones slopping down about 50 ft, and hanging over <BR>the water close to 10 feet, to the water which was a big circular pool that <BR>was-in-least 20 ft deep.&nbsp; About halfway down the rock we got running starts<BR>downhill and jumped right on in.<BR><BR>Todd this is definately some place you might be interested in seeing<BR>Tangerines in the Emory watershed.&nbsp; The access was beyond great, the <BR>water was gin clear, and the fish are
--0-1449038769-1121192339=:90887--