Re: NANFA-L-- Pictures of fish from Trinity River Basin, 7/4

Michael Sandel (kwksand-in-yahoo.com)
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:56:34 -0700 (PDT)

Hey Dan,

I am a grad student-in-the University of Alabama. My dissertation is on phylogeography (genetic variation) of Elassoma zonatum and evergladei. I have only been to east Texas twice. Once in 2004, and again early this spring. The first trip did not yield any Elassoma, though I only spent a day or two in the state. This year a group of us collected west to the Brazos and back, especially focusing on the Trinity and the Neches (or is it Nueces? I always get those two confused). I caught three fish total. One from the Trinity and two from the Sabine. Anyway, thanks for the info. I will let you know if we come that way again. Maybe 2007?

If you are able to collect E. zonatum easily, I would be very interested in obtaining some specimens from you. As long as you know the locality info, I can use the tissues. I can reimburse you for gas too.

Let me know what you think

Mike

Dan Johnson <danjohns-in-io.com> wrote:
Hi Mike,

The location is in north-central Liberty County near the very small town
of Rayburn. You will see a creek cross on C.R. 2185 approximately 1/2
mile South of Jct. C.R. 2184. There is also a cleared right of way some
distance south on 2185. Don't have a distance. Maybe 1-2 miles. The
area may be private property, but there are no "no trespassing" signs
and no fences, so I went ahead...

Where are you located? Do you collect in this area much?

--Dan