Re: NANFA-L-- backup systems for aquaria

Jerry Baker (nanfa-in-bakerweb.biz)
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:38:28 -0700

Todd D. Crail wrote:
> I think if your lab is handling T&E species, there should also be a ethical
> requirement for the lab to purchase a $500 generator for the lab's use, and
> have a plan to implement the generator in the case of a power failure. In
> fact, I think it should be a REQUIREMENT on the permit, but that's just me.

The Riverside-Corona Resource Conservation District keeps some species
that are "only" threatened in huge outdoor pools and the were required
not only to have backup power systems, but a contingency plan for the
failure of the backup systems. From their Web site:

"Because of the Sucker's status as a "threatened" species, US Fish and
Wildlife Service required the RCRCD to provide an emergency back-up
system, in case the stream ever stopped flowing. Fortunately, the stream
was designed with an emergency generator for power, manual valves to
replenish lost water should the power fail, three-foot deep pools that
hold water (and fish) if the flow stops, and portable pumps for moving
water from pool to pool. Additionally, six tanks have been constructed
to provide emergency storage for the fish, in case the stream were to
fail in spite of the existing safeguards."
(http://www.rcrcd.com/commpro.htm)