Re: NANFA-L-- OT: Box Turtle Reintroduction Advice

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 14:35:00 -0500

Well, the preserve manager is probably right about the turtles dying if
moved. However, not all turtles read conservation books, and moving a
misplaced turtle to a safer location may be the best thing, if you are
certain it is misplaced. I live in a suburban type neighborhood, with
all the hazards you mentioned. But, there are a few box turtles here,
mainly along a creek, but some show up from time to time in yards.
Mine, for instance.

Also, though I know better now, when I was much younger, I picked up
more than one box turtle and carried it home to my parents place. Some
of them made it.

So, if you can legally do so, and you are certain that the provenance
of the turtle is from beyond the neighborhood, it might be worth a try
moving it to somewhere seemingly safer. My guess is it came from the
woods you mentioned.

Dave Mc

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"