RE: NANFA-L-- what to feed darters?

dobroblues (dobroblues-in-bellsouth.net)
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:53:16 -0400

Derek,
I primarily use frozen bloodworms from the pet store, and have had very good
luck with feeding several of the central KY species. I also use frozen brine
shrimp from time to time, but they seem to clean up the bloodworms better.
Sometimes they don't seem to catch on for a day or two; on the other
hand I've had a juvenile Orangefin go nuts on bloodworms within 6 hrs from
capture. I think he was hungry!
You may try temporarily stopping some of the current in the tank so
the food can flutter down in an enticing fashion, as if you were fishing.
Another factor is how shy the darters are -- some individuals will
stay hidden and snag food that flows into their hiding place.

Ken Logsdon
Cub Run, KY

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf Of
Derek Parr
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 10:52 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: NANFA-L-- what to feed darters?

what do ya'll feed your darters?
specifically ones from fast moving riffles in the appalachians.
so far, I've tried some black worms, with apparently no luck.. but they
move fast and so is the water so maybe I'm just not seeing them getting
eaten. But then its only been a couple days.. perhaps they're just not
comfortable enough yet to eat.
-derek parr