RE: NANFA-L-- my darters

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Sat, 25 Jun 2005 08:45:52 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C57983.D20311EE

I'm going to second this setinment, and up the ante a bit. As recently =
as two weeks ago, I had redlines-in-93 degrees. This was BY NO MEANS a =
temperature that I was happy with (and thus why everyone finally came =
home), there were extreme lethal and sub-lethal affects, the fish were =
overall flat out stressed and there were mortalities among all species, =
except, oddly to me... The rainbow shiners. =20
=20
Anyway, this heat issue has been an ongoing problem because buildings =
and grounds apparently don't respond to "experimental animals are dying" =
requests over the summer... And basically... Everyone of the fish in our =
lab have been-in-83 degrees or _warmer_ since late April, because the =
heating and cooling is so fubar. =20
=20
So in short... These fish have been maintained above the 80 degree mark =
for two months without any lapse in the high temperatures. And.. While =
not in full on breeding color, they were still quite lively and sharp in =
color. While not exactly cool water fish, the redbands were screamin' =
red :)
=20
And... It wasn't until I went to Costa Rica, someone else was feeding =
the fish (or more accurately, _not_ feeding the fish) that mortalities =
began to run rampant. It was just enough to tip the scale and take out =
about 70% of my stock.
=20
I firmly believe with a superior diet regimen (the Piscene Energetics =
mysis is a key part of this), heavy aeration and undetectable to low =
nitrate levels, even cold water fish (I had warpaint shiners in this =
mess too and still have a couple) can withstand boughts of extremes in =
temperature. =20
=20
I do really like Chip's dry ice chiller though. That might be a quick =
solution in a bad situation like I had when the lab heated up as nasty =
as it did.
=20
Todd=20
=20