Re: NANFA-L-- "Activists want fish off aquarium menu..."

Derek Parr (derekparr-in-earthlink.net)
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:01:41 -0400

well, i can see how being an aquarium manager or a professor of biology
would mean that it would be much better to make a more political and
reasonable response, but as an individual citizen who only represents an
individual with opinions, i think taking a solid stance on such
organizations is a good thing. Besides, the results DO NOT justify the
means. (refering to PETA, of course)
-derek parr
central NC

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu wrote:

> I have many concerns about PETA, but I cannot agree with your
> positions. People do have legitimate, rational reasons for taking
> positions, even vegetarians. And you really have no reason to claim
> that PETA or any other organization you disagree with would fail to
> accord you fair treatment were you an advocate of something or other.
> PETA is extreme, and advocates things I don't agree with - particularly
> their position that pets are slaves, and that use of laboratory
> research animals is never justified. I don't think it makes sense for
> me to say that I will oppose anything and everything that such a group
> supports, though. They might get something right sometime. I think
> the aquarium manager made a much more reasonable response than you did.
>
> Dave
>
> David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
> Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
> Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
> telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
> home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm
>
> "Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"

    derek parr                          http://www.derekparr.com
    101-B eastwood lake road                artist-in-derekparr.com
    chapel hill, NC  27514                          919.444.9003