RE: NANFA-L-- Bullhead, black or yellow?

Johnson, Daniel (DanJohnson-in-chevron.com)
Thu, 8 Jun 2006 10:01:48 -0500

Dave,

This specimen has been in clear aquarium water for a couple of months
now. It has darkened up
quite a bit in this time. Have you noticed that yellow bullheads don't
get as dark when kept
in the same conditions?

--Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf
Of dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:23 AM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- Bullhead, black or yellow?

Dan, the barbel pigmentation and the ray count are consistent
throughout the range of these two species. Not common does not mean
does not occur. The fish pictured is a black bullhead, and btw,
appears to have been living in fairly clear water, given the intensity
of the pigmentation. Bullheads of either of these species from turbid
water are typically green and show some yellow color. I've collected
black bullheads that were much more easily confused with yellow
bullheads than the one you have, but that after a few days in an
aquarium turned quite dark like the one pictured.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"