RE: NANFA-L-- Annoying malady

Irate Mormon (archimedes-in-bayspringstel.net)
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 21:45:13 -0500

Any chance of scraping off some of this crust and looking-in-it under a
scope? Your local vet may let you peek through his dissecting scope if
you approach him right.

-Irate

"He says there's no doubt about it, it was the myth of fingerprints.
I've seen them all and man, they're all the same." - Paul Simon

Behalf Of
>Mysteryman
>Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 10:19 AM
>To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
>Subject: NANFA-L-- Annoying malady
>
>My fish have been dying-in-an alarming rate over the past month, and I
>can't
>figure out what is killing them. Over the past month I've easily lost
more
>fish than in the entire prior decade.
>Tey have a peculiar affliction that I can't identify, and have only
seen
>once
>before this.
>It affects only shiners, or-in-least seems to, as other fish with them
have
>so
>far invariably remained unaffected.
>The disease has one outstanding physical characteristic--> a crusty
edge on
>the caudal fin that looks for all the world like the salt along the
edge of
>margarita glass. It does NOT look like typical finrot or any other
"normal"
>fungal/bacterial infection. Also, this symptom only appears overnight.
>That's
>right;-in-night when the lights go out the fish are still just fine,
but in
>the morning they are affected. Also, if the lights stay off, the fish
>survive.
>turning ON the lights kills them within hours, and very often in less
than
>one
>hour.
>I've tried everything I could think of, and the most maddening part is
that
>so
>far everything I've tried seems to work just fine, for-in-least a few
days.
>Then it returns, wiping out a half dozen fish without warning.
>PimaFix, Melafix, salt, antibiotics, antifungals,
antiparasiticals..they
>all
>knock it down for a few days, and after the water change everything
seems
>hunky-dory until it comes back again.
>
>So, there it is, whatever it is. Fish only die in the first couple of
hours
>of
>the day, and their tails are crusty despite being clear only sevferal
hours
>previously.
>
>I don't know of any tropical diseases like this, and the only ther time
>I've
>seen this was with some Burrheads that I got in the White Hills area or
>western Alabama. The fish currently afflicted are from central Alabama.
>Were it not for the Burrheads, I would be inclined to blame it on the
>frozen
>foods I occasionally give them, but the burrheads never got those.
>
>Is this some weird native alabama disease, or some other american
disease?
>Have any of you ever seen it? Most importantly, do have any nothion of
what
>should DO about it? This is driving me NUTS.
-
>/ Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do not necessarily
>/ reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more information about
NANFA,