RE: NANFA-L-- Pictures of fish from this weekend.

Johnson, Daniel (DanJohnson-in-chevron.com)
Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:54:04 -0500

Todd,

The silverjaw minnow would be out of range.

I think you're right about the redfin shiner. I was noticing that it
looks a lot like the ribbon shiner (same genus), but I knew it wasn't
that one. The photo shows small scales on the nape that are
characteristic of Lythrurus and not of cyprinella. I actually took
photos of some other red shiners for comparison to this one, but didn't
notice the dorsal black spot and scales. Yet another exciting new fish
for me.

Do you guys in the fish world use the term "lifer" like birders and
herpers do?

--Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org [owner-nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org] On Behalf
Of Crail, Todd
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 9:44 PM
To: nanfa-l-in-nanfa.org
Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Pictures of fish from this weekend.

I'll second Matt's sentiment. Keep 'em coming!

The first fish might also be a silverjaw minnow (although I think Peter
is right). Are they that far over west? Does it have weird "scutes" on
its cheek?

The red shiner is possibly a redFIN shiner (Lythrurus umbratilis). It's
got that dorsal base spot.

I've had 2 blacktail redhorse for about 2 years now. For Moxostoma,
their growth has been very slow. We saw a spawned out male while in the
Coosa watershed (Swamp Creek as it enters Hatchet Creek just upstream
from Lake Mitchell, beautiful place), and it was about 18", which is
nice to know. They've maintained their orangeness in their fins, which
these particular fish aren't showing. Awesome looking sucker. I was
hoping to get another couple YOY while down there, and only managed to
get one that was a little too big to take. Phew... I need to write that
day up. Little Hatchet Creek is an enchanted place.

What I found very striking in the Gulf drainages was that crazy orange
in the fins of the spotted suckers, as you see in these pictures. Man,
I was really pulling for them in the Spring Fling 2 Death Madness 2006
to make it through (I'm only doing south of the southern most point in
the Tennessee R in Nov-Mar from now on!). Got a 3 pack of jar specimens
now :(

Todd
The Muddy Maumee Madness, Toledo, OH
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. http://www.farmertodd.com