NANFA-L-- ID requests

Brian J. Torreano (headdarter-in-btdarters.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 02:54:36 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Sajjad,
Checked out your pics. It looks like you did a pretty good job
ID-ing. Only a few things I would mention. It looks like pics
#22-#24 are indeed Sand Shiners but you don't have the current
scientific name. The current name is "Notropis stramineus". Pics
#34-#36 are indeed Bluntnose Minnows (Pimephales notatus). The fish
pictured in #28 and #33, however, look to be Blacknose Shiners
(Notropis heterolepis). I could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty
sure. They don't have the preliminary half-ray in the dorsal and the
black spot-in-the beginning of the dorsal. Your juvenile sucker
looks to me to be a juvenile White Sucker. I could be wrong on that,
though. Suckers aren't really my specialty (yet!). Anyway, good
job! Hope this helps a little.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
Your on-line resource for American Darters and other native fish for the
small to medium-sized aquarium!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489