RE: NANFA-L-- Mystery tentatively solved

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 10:04:37 -0400

I've had a similar affliction killing striped shiners in my tanks.
Ironically, one of my students is studying gill parasite infestations in
local scarlet and striped shiners. We go out every so often to collect live
shiners, and keep them in tanks until we need to sacrifice them. The last
two batches of striped shiners have gone down hard with an aggressive tail
rot, which I've suspected was protozoan in nature but haven't had a chance
to prove. Interestingly, the scarlet shiners don't seem to have been
affected-in-all, and some incidental catch such as blackspotted topminnows
and telescope shiners are also fine. Many parasites are very host-specific
and this seems to be the case here.

I think the name Cyclochaeta is out of use, and looking through Glenn
Hoffman's "Parasites of North American Freshwater Fishes" I find no
reference to it. But I'd hazard a guess that these protozoa are genus
Trichodina, usually gill parasites but capable of whole body infestations. I
hope to look and see; we might be going out today for more shiners, and I'll
keep a close eye on the stripeds.

--Bruce Stallsmith
the balmy, dry Tennessee Valley
Huntsville, AL, US of A