Re: NANFA-L-- Spring Fling - The Preliminary Picture, Ulocentra questions

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus-in-hotmail.com)
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:33:58 -0500

Hmm, more fun with Ulocentra. Dave, off the top of your head, do you know
why Eth. atripinne is no longer recognized as a separate species but, I
suppose, as a population within Eth. simoterum? I have a copy of an article
by Ray Bouchard (1977. Tulane Studies in Zoology and Botany) describing the
cherry darter, Eth. etnieri, that mentions atripinne as a species within the
Caney Fork River system in TN. With all of these Ulocentra the differences
revolve around fairly subtle differences in pigmentation, especially of the
"saddles", and just how declivous the snout is.

I have faith in Steve Powers, I'm just curious what the current thinking is
on this subgenus.

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A