Re: NANFA-L-- mollies and calcium

James Smith (jbosmith-in-gmail.com)
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:51:12 -0500

You're right, marine salt is likely better for them than the canning
salt I use. I have buckets of canning salt though that was free :)

I wasn't suggesting using rift lake salts for mollies, but for
freshwater fish that need high mineral content.

What kinds of mollies do you keep? I have a tank of latipinna courtesy
of Laura Burbage, but they are breeding faster than I can give them
away, and are getting replaced with some Xiphophorus birchmanni which
I've been after for a while and just got. I really like the mollies,
but I need the tank :(

One funny molly observation.. when I setup that tank initially I had a
bad batch of gravel that was leaching something into the water. I
replaced it and all is well, but when it was there the fish often had
their fins clamped. When the large males had their fins clamped, they
woudn't use them to display in front of the females but would turn
themselves so they looked like they were standing on their tail. :-)

Jim