Re: NANFA-L-- Fishes of ______ books

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:41:59 -0600

Actually, the Boschung and Mayden Alabama book (on my desk right now!)
received substantial funding from numerous sources, which is what made
the quality it has possible. The book contains four pages of
acknowledgment to persons and organizations who (that) contributed in
various ways. Grants and gifts were important to the production of
this book. When I complemented Herb Boschung on the quality of the
book-in-the Norman ASIH meeting last year he quickly said that the book
was heavily subsidized, which made it possible and greatly improved its
quality. This is not to take anything away from the authors. It is to
recognize that some works of this type do have substantial support.

Pflieger's Missouri book was supported by the Missouri Fish and Game
Department (or whatever the name is in that state), but most states
don't do that.

BTW, a state book for Florida is in the works, authors Carter Gilbert
and Jim Williams.

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"