Re: NANFA-L-- online list of natives (NC)

Dennis Burnette (deburnette-in-triad.rr.com)
Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:52:15 -0500

Pat and others:

Regarding an online list of North Carolina native fishes, a quick Google
search on "NC Endangered Fish" produced the following:

The US Fish & Wildlife Service > http://nc-es.fws.gov/fish/fish.html < lists
the following North Carolina species as endangered:

Cape Fear Shiner (Notropis mekistocholas)

Shortnose Sturgeon (Acipenser brevirostrum)

Spotfin Chub (Cyprinella monacha)

Waccamaw Silverside (Menidia extensa)

-----

The North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission indicates that about a
quarter of NC fish species are designated Endangered, Threatened, or Special
Concern by the state.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/fs_index_07_conservation.htm

The following is from their web site:

"North Carolina is home to nearly 200 native species of freshwater fish. Of
these, approximately 25% are designated Endangered, Threatened, or Special
Concern within the state. [Defined below.] The Nongame and Endangered
Wildlife Program strives to prevent species from becoming endangered through
maintaining viable, self-sustaining populations of native wildlife, with an
emphasis on species in decline. Public education is a major component of
this effort. The following pages provide detailed information about North
Carolina's Endangered freshwater fish species. The following are definitions
of each status:

Endangered status includes any native species whose continued existence as
a viable component of the state's fauna is determined to be in jeopardy
and/or is designated "Endangered" by the United States Fish and Wildlife
Service under the Endangered Species Act. [Federal and State Endangered:
Cape Fear Shiner (Notropis mekistocholas)]

Threatened includes any native species likely to become endangered within
the foreseeable future throughout all or a significant portion of its range
within the state and/or is designated "Threatened" by the United States Fish
and Wildlife Service under the Endangered Species Act. [Federally and State
Threatened: [Spotfin Chub (Cyprinella monacha); Waccamaw Silverside (Menidia
extensa)]

Special Concern designation applies to any species that is determined to
require monitoring.

-----

The North Carolina Division of Water Quality has the following downloadable
and searchable databases of North Carolina fish species, though conservation
status isn't indicated:

FRESHWATER SPECIES BY RIVER BASIN

INTRODUCED SPECIES BY RIVER BASIN

The very long website address is:
http://h2o.enr.state.nc.us/esb/www.esb.enr.state.nc.us/Native%20and%20Introd
uced%20Freshwater%20Fish%20in%20North%20Carolina.2-1.htm

-----

I saved the above information for myself, and hope it helps others who are
interested in NC fishes.

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
deburnette-in-triad.rr.com