Re: NANFA-L-- what is this plant?

geoffrey kimber (gkimber2-in-gmail.com)
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 13:03:20 -0500

thanks for the link. That's what I have. Now I have to figure out of
it's legal in virginia and destroy it if not.

*sigh* and it's growing so well. That's why it's invasive, I guess.

re: Mark Binkley
Actually, I went to this river based on his report because several of
the species there are interesting to me.

I have rio grande cichlids, sailfin mollies, amazon mollies, and
mexican tetras that I collected here last year. Mexican tetras were
more abundant in the Nueces river, a few hours west of san antonio.

If you are ever interested in mexican tetras, they really seem to like
high flow when it's available to them. I collected about a dozen
adults from the 'boiling' water below a culvert. It may just be that
they cannot see you coming when they are in the boil. They are
extremely fast and wary. They are difficult to catch in open water.

The mexican tetras are native to that river, as are the two species of
mollies. The rio grande cichlid was originally restricted to the
lower rio grande

It's been interesting with the two species of mollies in that the male
sailfins seem to prefer to mate with the amazons rather than with the
sailfin females. I'm actually going to separate them to make sure
that the sailfins breed a little more before I dedicate a male sailfin
to the amazons.

I also saw a large number of YOY sailfin catfish, which I think were
actually pterygoplichthys. I didn't keep any of these as I have no
need for a 3 foot sailfin catfish.

If you're interested, here's a marvelous article on invasive sailfin
catfish by Jan Hoover:

http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/elpubs/pdf/ansrp-v04-1.pdf

Geoff Kimber