RE: NANFA-L-- mussels-in-nanfa.org?

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:46:51 -0500

Good suggestions folks. Really, as I thought about it... inverts-in-nanfa.org is
pretty danged on to it. Either you're into the other stuff you see when
you're seining or your not. I think anyone who hollers in joy over a mussel
is gonna be the same person who hollers over a stonefly, crayfish, or aquatic
isopod. Of course, I'm not saying "this is the way it's gonna be" :)

Yeah, we've already gone through the whole idea of a bulletin board with the
Board, and it's not worth it, mainly because someone is going to have to set
it up (we're NOT asking for volunteers ;), and then it's just a pain for the
reasons mentioned by Derek. Email works great because you can set up rules to
have different addresses just go to folders, and it would take all of 15
minutes to set up, if that. So we'll keep to an email list if we did it.

I'm curious why we'd need a rule about posting locality data? I don't see why
any other organisms would be any different than fish. If they were Fed
Listed, any of that information can be obtained through the Freedom of
Information Act with a pile of paper. And if someone wants to go spouting
about it, it's their name on the email, not NANFA. I'd be more concerned
about people posting about topics that have nothing to do with aquatic inverts
or North American streams etc than about the whereabouts of imperilled
critters.

Todd
The Randy Pike Madness, Toledo, OH
http://www.farmertodd.com