Re: NANFA-L-- The myth of restoration?

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Mon, 09 May 2005 13:18:59 -0500

One of the nicest things about The Nature Conservancy regarding the
personal attributes of the professionals who run the organization and
the professionals and volunteers who do the work: They're not in it
for selfishness or greed, so they are able to see beyond whether or not
a project is their personal pet project, such as, "I, I, I, I, I, want
to raise that kind of plant, or I, I, I, I, I want to walk on that
land."

These dedicated personnel work for subcompetitive compensation (for
example, if called upon by the organization to relocate, the
organization as a non-profit cannot pay moving expenses, and cannot
even make loans to employees for moving expenses).

As Todd mentioned, one way to learn about how TNC does things first
hand is to volunteer to work with them. They are constantly soliciting
for volunteers, and they need everything from laborers to persons with
specific expertise -- in some cases even fish breeding expertise. And
despite what has been stated here, they actively restore lands they
manage, and they do cooperate in captive breeding programs. One of
their properties in the Rio Grande Valley in Texas is used in part to
propagate plants that are used in restoration on other S. Texas
properties. Further, they fund research by persons who contribute to
conservation science.

There are many Nature Conservancy properties that are open to the
public for visitation, despite claims here to the contrary. Others are
open on particular dates for public visitation. Some are open only for
guided visits-in-particular times. And yes, some are restricted
altogether from public visitation, for conservation reasons. I don't
have to walk on every piece of property. When a private, commercial
landowner such as a farmer restricts public access, or charges a fee
for hunting, we call that "property rights." When a private,
conservation owner such as TNC does the same thing, some of us get
upset that the conservation organization is keeping us out. BTW, a
good many of the properties that they turn over are transferred to
government organizations such as state wildlife agencies or university
research organizations, too. They are not all sold for profit, though
that is a part of their financial side that supports their work.

Oh, well. The bottom line for me regarding non-governmental
conservation organizations, is this: The work they do results in
better protected habitat than without them. I send a check to TNC
twice every year. I also volunteer for them, because I appreciate the
work they are doing. And I don't try to tell the decision makers for
the organization how to handle a particular project, unless I'm asked,
since they have a great deal of expertise in conservation biology.
Yes, they have a lot of money, and thus power to acquire land. Thank
goodness that someone besides the despoilers is in that circumstance.

And thank goodness that much of the public recognises the good that TNC
does. One of the proudest experiences I've ever had was when people
started asking about appropriate gifts for my daughter and her fiance
for their upcoming wedding. I was able to say that, when I asked her
what to tell people, she said, "Tell them to make a donation to The
Nature Conservancy." Yes, my wife and I raised a good'un.

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"