RE: NANFA-L-- playground sand & Costa Rica

Crail, Todd (tcrail-in-UTNet.UToledo.Edu)
Mon, 23 May 2005 00:28:46 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C55F4F.E93000A2

Chris,
=20
I also like the Quickcrete brand. I don't know what it does with soft =
water, but I'm pretty sure it's silica sand... Our water here is 8.2 =
out of the tap, so it's hard to say from here wether the sand is going =
to do anything. Make the $2 investment, put it in some soft water, and =
tell us all what you find ;)
=20
I also like the Quickcrete brand because it doesn't require prewashing =
like Casper mentioned. Actually, all those particles will be locked up =
by biofilms in the near future, so it doesn't matter if they're in there =
or not, but instant gratification is what makes us all tick usually ;)
=20
Rest of y'all,
=20
http://www.farmertodd.com/nanfa/costarica
=20
Here's a quick preview of the Costa Rica eye candy to come... I =
appologize for the large files, I only have Paint here and it won't =
allow me to resize the images (so nobody steal them! ;) The fish fauna =
where I am is pretty straight forward and, well, depauperate, probably =
because we're in second order mountain streams or really compromised =
third and fourth order.... Not to mention geologic factors that would =
have kept diversity low historically anyway. So kinda disappointing in =
that regard... But it was darn cool to add Cichlidae and Characidae to =
the "in my net list".
=20
Fritz or Dustin or whoever... Are DSCN0584.JPG and DSCN0782.JPG the same =
or different species? DSCN0584 was caught in a Pacific drainage in the =
southwest corner of Braulio Carrillo NP, and DSCN0782 was caught in =
Atlantic drainage east of the park by about 15km.
=20
Okay... This is enough computer time for a week :) Enjoy!
=20
Todd