Re: NANFA-L-- Re: Chinese Sturgeon on AquaBid

Dustin Smith (dsmith73-in-hotmail.com)
Tue, 09 May 2006 16:04:25 -0400

I would like to clarify my comments. I, by no means, think that this fish
should be for sale, for many reasons. Not even taking into account the
protection status, there are the nearly insurmountable captive husbandry
issues. This fish cannot be maintained successfully, unless it is by a
public aquarium. Like Lee said, there is no chance of captive propagation
since there is only one specimen available. Even if more were available,
the space issue comes into play again.

My assertion earlier was not that I believe that this fish should be allowed
to be sold. I was only pointing out the difficulty that Mark-in-Aquabid has
in determining which fish are allowed to be sold and which aren't. This
fish certainly has no different protection status than say the Betta
macrostoma or Characodon spp., but no one has come out and said that they
didn't think these should be sold. The culture of aquarium fish is odd.
People always want what they can't have and they want to be the first to own
it. It's more like a bunch of kids than anything else. There is a fine
line between the conservation-minded aquarist and the collection-driven
aquarist and it is hard to expect one person to make these decisions. I
feel confident that if Mark had some type of hard and fast guideline as to
what can and cannot be sold, he would follow it to the letter. Like I said
earlier, he makes nothing off of sales unless it is voluntarily contributed,
so why wouldn't he?

Dustin Smith
Lexington, SC
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree