Re: NANFA-L-- Re: the aquarium hobby as conservator of

Steffen Hellner (steffen-in-hellner.biz)
Thu, 11 May 2006 09:50:48 +0200

Who are these "experts"? Zoos, aquariums, scientific institutions?
They have more or less all failed in conserving even single species of easy
to breed fish. Several species of Pupfish (Cyprinodon) are higly threatened
or endangered. The best breeder of these and expert I know of is a german
named Dieter Springer. He is breeding more than 25 species of Cyprinodon
over decades now. I am convinced there are US citizens with expert abilities
in breeding native fish. Why not stand up and do something together? Select
a number of species most in need of captive propagation to establish backup
strains, go for the license to collect a limited number and breed it. Then
provide other breeders with stock to multiply. There will be numerous
serious breeders being interested to propagate fish like the Pteronotropis,
Cyprinodon, Fundulus and else.

In Europe there was a conservation program started for Aphanius apodus, in
cooperation with an University. haven4t heard of it for years but without
doubt, there are many more A. apodus outside this "program" in tanks of
private enthusiast.

The french expert Jean Huber together with Professor Contreras from Mexico
had set up plans for recollecting (infact re-doscovering!) of Millerichthys
robustus in Mexico. In that area other vanished species could have been
rediscovered. Everything was organised and financed private, the mexican
authorities granted to collect 5 specimen per collector to set up a breeding
program. I was one of the candidates to go over but with 5 fish it is hard
to establish a breeding stock. OK; have already started with just a pair but
that wasn4t planned. The mexican project is dead now as nobody will
accept such a minimum of stock. On the other hand there are dozens of
species close to extinction in Mexico, the reasons are the same as
everywhere in the world - agriculture, water extraction, and pollution, but
the government rather lets them get extinct rather than having them backed
up in aquariums. Very similar for many other countries. For the USA I have
experienced that environmental agencies are way more open to captive
breeding programs. But haven4t received evidence there is any running at
all.

Steffen