Re: NANFA-L-- Old story, new twist? Pangasius

anutej-in-loxinfo.co.th
Fri, 19 May 2006 01:32:51 +0700

There used to be-in-least 5 big Pangasius species in Chao Phraya River
in central Thailand [Pangasianodon hypophthalmus, Pangasius bocourti,
Pangasius conchophilus, Pangasius larnaudii and Pangasius
sanitwongsei. The one that eat dead floating dogs [not live] is the
paroon shark, Pangasius sanitwongsi, which is extinct from Chao Phraya
River but still around in Mekong. Though that is rather monsterous
fish [up to 3 meters long] that can eat big fish it generally feed on
smaller fare like the used-to-be-abundant small cyprinid migrating
shoals. One reason it becomes extinct in Chao Phraya River [out of
fishing pond/park where some are introduced from Mekong stock] is the
loss of the great migrating shoals of small cyprinids. We are not
talking about that fish though. Normal irridescent shark can and
often would include small fish and meat into its diet eventhough its
anatomy is more akin of Mekong Giant Catfish, and data from artificial
breeding of Mekong Giant Catfish by the fishery department showed that
the fry eats each other rather happily.

For small species Pangasius polyuranodon and Pangasius macronema are
well known for their eagerness to clean up all sh_t dropping into the
water from "toilet" on rafts, boats, and floating houses.

Tony