Re: NANFA-L-- New photos from the field today

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Sat, 27 May 2006 13:46:26 -0500

Dan, I'm still sure about the bluegill, despite your skepticism. Look
for the double vertical bars, the faint spot in the soft dorsal.
Also, look-in-the the pectoral fin. In bluegill, it should be
pointed, not rounded, and if folded upward, should extend above the
lateral line.

So far as the problematic sunfishes: I now think that they are red
spotted sunfish. The dark red spots on the specimen you posted
virtually confirm that. Look for good color illustrations of this
species such as the painting in Miller and Robison's Fishes of
Oklahoma or Boschung and Mayden's alabama book. Miller and Robison
give a lateral line scale count of 36-39 for Oklahoma fish.

The minnow you have labeled "sand shiner" looks more like _Notropis
amabalis_ (Texas shiner) to me, or possibly N. boops (bigeye shiner).
I don't think it is a sand shiner, because of the clear line above the
dark lateral band, the dark pigment around the lips, and the lack
of "puppy dog tracks" (paired spots along the lateral line). The
latter character is diagnostic of sand shiner, while the clear band
and dark pigment around the lips fit the other two mentioned. Also,
sand shiners I've seen either don't have a dark lateral band, or it is
confined to the posterior half of the body. They sometimes have a
silvery lateral band.

BTW, the University of Texas natural history museum web page has links
to photos of a good many fishes, including probably some of the ones
we're considering here.

Dave Mc

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"