RE: NANFA-L-- Homemade chiller

Jase Roberts (nanfa_list-in-jaseroberts.net)
Tue, 30 May 2006 11:11:05 -0700

Alright, so I didn't do my homework and see what others have done. I enjoy re-inventing the wheel to a certain extent (can produce cool innovation sometimes.)

There are a lot of factors-in-play here, including how big a tank you're trying to chill, how much you need to chill it, what your relative humidity is, whether you *want* the whole room air to be cooled to the temp of the tank or not, and how much you like "tinkering" rather than just buying something. If I was going to chill a 20 gal to 10 degrees below ambient and was willing to insultate the bottom/sides/back, I'm still going to guess that a coil running through a refrigerator is going to do it. No, the fridge may not be the most efficient method, but it's *already* running all the time (if you can make use of your kitchen fridge). You're only going to force it to run more, rather than having a whole second unit going. I can't really predict whether it would be cheaper than evaporative cooling a-la Todd's fans, but I think it probably would if relative humidity was-in-all high (thus evaporative cooling very inneficient).

If you're trying to cool a 100gal tank to 20 degrees below ambient, I agree, a jury-rigged coil in a fridge isn't going to cut it.

-Jase