Re: NANFA-L-- Final 2005 Water garden Sunfish tally

dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
Tue, 01 Nov 2005 07:39:05 -0600

George Corben wrote:

> I think that I removed the last of this years Sunfish fry
> from my
> water garden on Oct 14. The Chubs have gone back to Cedar Creek.
> I kept 4 of the last young sunfish

George, I hope you don't mean that you put chubs from you water garden
into a creek. fish from captive facilities should never be placed in
natural waters, due to the possibilities of (1) introducing fish from
populations not local to the water (genetic contamination of natural
stocks), and (2) introducing pathogens including parasites not
prevalent in the natural water.

I realize that your chubs may have come originally from the creek, but
they have been in a captive facility where all kinds of things can
happen.

Congratulations on having such a successful pond!

Dave

David L. McNeely, Ph.D., Professor of Biology
Langston University; P.O. Box 1500
Langston, OK 73050; email: dlmcneely-in-lunet.edu
telephone: (405) 466-6025; fax: 405) 466-3307
home page http://www.lunet.edu/mcneely/index.htm

"Where are we going?" "I don't know, are we there yet?"