Re: NANFA-L-- Most widespread native cyprinid in N.A.?

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos at comcast.net)
Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:08:06 -0400

In North America, most likely one of the many spring-isolated subspecies of
Rhinichthys osculus or Siphateles bicolor. It would depend on the size of
the spring and its outflow. One guess would be the Hutton Spring tui chub,
which lives in a small spring on the n.w. side of Alkali Lake in Lake Co.,
OR.

On the eastern half of the country I would guess Phoxinus saylori, the
laurel dace, native to the Walden Ridge portion of Cumberland Plateau (TN)

Chris Scharpf
Baltimore