Re: NANFA-L-- Snakehead edibility and wondering about

anutej at loxinfo.co.th
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 01:47:32 +0700

Wondering what country/city you went back from? Snakeheads are
delicacies in large parts of Asia.

>Sajjad Lateef wrote:
>
> I recently returned from a trip overseas and guess what I ate ... some fresh snakehead steaks. I can testify that the meat is white, tender and delicious. Also, very few bones - just the spine and some tiny bones around the edges

So bowfin and gars are not common in the area? I am quite interested
more in competition between bowfin and snakehead [and gars to a lesser
extent] since they have pretty similar lifestyle [airbreathing
predator capable to thrive in shallow still water]. It is interesting
that in Africa snakeheads have only a few species and they diversify
mainly in Asia. Do you guys think bichirs, climbing perches and
walking catfishes give them a hard time over there in Africa?

Tony

>Bob Bock wrote:
I've seen gar in the tidal Potomac. I've never run across any
evidence
of bowfin.