RE: NANFA-L-- Hitchhikers on Hydrilla

Al G Eaton (sege7_2000 at yahoo.com)
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:36:02 -0700 (PDT)

I have received eggs of both goldfish and bluefin
killies in plants sent from florida. Its a great way
to obtain bluefin killies that are used to your water
conditions.

What is worrisome, is that anyone is keeping hydrilla
in an aquarium. It is on the Federal noxious weed
list and should be destroyed. It takes just a
fragment of this plant getting loose in an aquatic
system to begin to destroy it. This is one plant that
definitely made its way into your waters from fish
tanks.

Klaus

--- "Hoover, Jan J ERDC-EL-MS"
<Jan.J.Hoover at erdc.usace.army.mil> wrote:

> This is the
> first time that I have obtained that species as a
> hitchhiker on plants.<<<
>
> I had completely forgotten about an article I read a
> few years ago on this
> very topic:
> Gossington, R.E. 1968. The golden ear killy. The
> Aquarium 1[Jun]: 6-7,
> 46-48.
>
> Author reported that chrysotus eggs had hitchhiked
> on water lettuce he
> collected in Florida. Plants were rinsed, soaked
> for 10 minutes in alum
> solution, and put in a tank of betta fry to provide
> cover for the baby fish.
> Weeks later, he was thinning plants and realized
> that he had two species of
> fish: bettas (few) and chrysotus (lots). Finding
> more topminnow eggs on
> other plants, he apparently shifted gears and
> started raising the native
> species.
>
> - Jan Hoover
> Vicksburg, MS

> / This is the discussion list of the North American
> Native Fishes
> / Association (NANFA). Comments made on this list do
> not necessarily
> / reflect the beliefs or goals of NANFA. For more
> information about NANFA,
> / visit http://www.nanfa.org Please make sure all
> posts to nanfa-l are
> / consistent with the guidelines as per
> / http://www.nanfa.org/guidelines.shtml To
> subscribe, unsubscribe, or get
> / help, visit the NANFA email list home page and
> archive at
> / http://www.nanfa.org/email.shtml

In the Millcreek Watershed
When we turn off the lights it glows.