Re: NANFA-L-- scratching

Subject: Re: NANFA-L-- scratching
From: James Smith (jim at fishiezoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 12:22:07 CDT

What are your nitrates and nitrites? Those can cause scratching, especially
in more sensitive species. If you have any nitrites or your nitrates are
above 40 or so, do water changes to fix them. This is a pretty basic
solution which I'm sure you've tried, but I figured I'd throw it out there..

With salt, you should add it for a week or two at least, replacing what you
remove when you do water changes during this time. Many parasites are not
affected by it except in a certain stage of their life cycle, so you have
to treat for a while to catch them all.

If you've tried both of those, I am out of ideas :)

What did you use for potassium permanganate? That stuff scares me around
fish although I use it for plant disinfecting...

Jim

At 12:26 PM 9/6/2004, you wrote:
>Hi all. The baby bettas and fundulus chrysotus in my 65 gallon high have
>been scratching for months, and I'm not sure how to treat it. I'd hate to
>break the tank down and sterilize it, as some crypts are doing really well
>in the foreground. I've tried paragon, sodium chloride, and potassium
>permanganate, but these don't seem to help. I haven't seen any white
>spots on the fish, but the bluespotted sunfish and the small ancistrus
>don't seem to be affected.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>Bob