RE: NANFA-L-- Almost endangered

Subject: RE: NANFA-L-- Almost endangered
From: Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus at hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 06 2004 - 12:21:46 CDT

>From what I understand, your possession of these fish would be grandfathered
under ESA if they were collected before full federal protection was made.
There would be a bigger problem with Missouri, if there was any kind of
state listing and they were collected in violation of such listing. Having
said that I'm not sure what would be a graceful solution; surrendering the
fish to someone in MO with a state Scientific Permit, maybe?

--Bruce Stallsmith
Along the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: "Bob Muller" <michiganfish at wideopenwest.com>
>To: <nanfa-l at nanfa.org>
>Subject: NANFA-L-- Almost endangered
>Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 13:15:57 -0400
>

>The Riffles in the latest AC had an article on the Endangered Species Act.
>This really hit home as one of the fishes waiting for protection, I have
>one in my tanks. Last spring a friend that had gone on a NFC collecting
>trip, that I believe was in Missouri, gave me some Arkansas darters he had
>collected. It was late enough in the spring that all the daters I was
>working with had stopped spawning. The male still had colors so I set them
>up in a spawning tank but got no eggs. I figured I would try again next
>spring and get some photos then. Both "The Fishes of Missouri" and "Fishes
>of Arkansas" said nothing about these fish being threatened. Two things
>come into play here, morality and the law. If I had been on the trip and
>been told they were waiting for the last 15.5 years to be placed on the
>Endangered list I don't believe I would have kept any. I do not think the
>person that collected them had this information. Now the law, if tomorrow
>they are listed what do I do? It would be illegal to have the fish, I
>could and would not release them and I do not kill fish that I am keeping.
>
> Could someone with knowledge of the Endangered Species Act please let me
>know what action I should take if something already in someone posession is
>listed?
>
> Bob Muller

/ archive at http://www.nanfa.org/archive/nanfa/.

: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 11:27:13 CST