Re: NANFA-L-- Killer Rain, Stratification + H2S

njz (njz at clevelandmetroparks.com)
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 20:47:01 -0400

Good job Todd!

As far as Hsulfide, I have never seen an effect on fish. It always amazed
me since I have smelled some pretty rotten stuff. I do beleive that even a
very small concentration is very potent to the olefactory senses. You have
definitely seen an effect on fish attributed to this?

Nick Zarlinga

"If we ignore nature.....maybe it'll go away."

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerald Pottern" <gbpottern at yahoo.com>
To: "NANFA-List" <nanfa-l-digest at nanfa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 4:03 PM
Subject: NANFA-L-- Killer Rain, Stratification + H2S

> Todd/Geoff/Nick/Moon/Mystery & killer rain sleuths - even if the
hypolimnion (cooler bottom water) of the pond wasnt anaerobic yet, there
could have been a lot of hydrogen sulfide H2S down in the detritus layer,
that got churned up by a rain-induced turn-over. You can watch fish stress
out even in a well aerated aquarium if you stir up deep dirty gravel full of
aged fish poop (and smell that H2S). Its very toxic stuff, but oxidizes or
dissipates ??? pretty quick after mixing in aerated water.