Re: NANFA-L-- Diversity Indicies

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus at hotmail.com)
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:16:20 -0400

Since I'm the kinda geek who likes haggling over statistics, allow me to
suggest that you use rarefaction to compare species composition between
communities if you have unequal sample sizes. I won't try to descibe it
here. But look for the original description of this approach in: Hurlbert,
S. H. (1971) The non-concept of species diversity: A critique and
alternative parameters. Ecology 52: 577-586. Hurlbert has pissed off lots of
people with his bluntness, but since he's pretty much right and can
demonstrate why, his criticisms are important and useful.

--Bruce Stallsmith
along the Tennessee
Huntsville, AL, US of A