Re: NANFA-- gazateers

Bruce Stallsmith (fundulus_at_hotmail.com)
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 09:10:56 -0400

<x-flowed>
I've always been happy with the AL gazetteer but the TN one does seem to
have some mistakes or at least confusions. Don't believe anything in the TN
book about the small roads east of the Big South Fork area just south of the
KY border. We spent over an hour getting more and more confused last summer
before we gave up and stuck to a relatively main road.
You're right, Casper, often the most interesting part of a trip is
serendipitous finds like your vicious trout pond complex. Like that
springhouse seep we found in the Paint Rock valley last summer...

--Bruce Stallsmith
Huntsville, AL, US of A

>From: Prizma_at_aol.com
>To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
>Subject: NANFA-- gazateers
>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:56:35 EDT
>
>all map readers...
>i love studying maps. i can spend a long time hunched over one. i have to
>have glasses now and they are part of my travel kit these days. here in
>chattanooga tva has a map office where i can purchase quads and old aireal
>photos. great for old homesites. quad maps are hard to travel with tbecause
>of rolling them out and up... and also really tough if your up in a
>corner...
>but my the detail! you can see a big fish in a little creek if you look
>close
>:)
>i didnt like the gazateers when i first saw one but now i have tn, al, ga
>and
>fl. my standard wandering zones. the tn even gives me a good chunk of nc
>which i do appreciate. tho the detail is not near as tight as a quad just
>about everything is there... springs, creeks and crossing. railroads,
>powerlines and contours. caves. excellent.
>as for mistakes... often when i frustrated and turned all willy nilly and
>begin blaming a "bad" map i find out im to blame. it is an ART to read,
>follow and find a location. i love to do it but one can burn up a lot of
>time
</x-flowed>