Re: NANFA-- Re: Books on the evolution and distribution of NA

Todd Crail (farmertodd_at_buckeye-express.com)
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 15:54:38 -0400

Ahh... You got your flyer too huh? I about shat when I read I'd be
presenting in a food court :) More on that in a bit...

If they're true seedlings, I'd be suprised that they'd be any bigger (too
expensive in energy terms), but shading does funny things to leaves (plants
create more surface area on the leaves). However, if they're suckers off
the big trees, and shaded, it wouldn't suprise me ("rhizome" runners from
the mother colony) as they'd be getting plenty of juice from a developed
plant to morph thier arrangement.

What species are they? IF you really want to find out... Hack a couple and
see how they grow back. That should do in a seedling (the second time for
sure), but a sucker will regrow off of the side of the cutting.

Some species of Oaks live completely as networks of runners, and use this as
a fire tolerance / early succession technique. My favorite local is the
shingle oak. I really want to put a couple in, but I'd hate to have them
start popping up in the neighbors yards. I think the milkweed seedlings
this year was bad enough ;)