Re: NANFA-- 'newbie'

jake levi (jlevi_us_at_yahoo.com)
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 08:47:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi Chris
I have long time been interested in the sturgeon,
although todate have never eaten any caviar, I looked
at them quite a bit while at Ohio State as a possible
study subject. I opted for other food fish
instead(tilapia).

Have since noted that they have a tremendous number of
uses, many I never expected. As a bowyer I found the
hides make incredible backing for bows(expensive
too!), the meat contrary to most expectations is used
around the world and of course the caviar. For me also
is just their historical connection to our country and
the part that they played in feeding Americans until
we spoiled their habitat. I would like to see a lot of
others working with them, they are a species that has
shown itself to be amenable to both open and closed
system culture, and
simple closed culture systems can be put together that
work and are cost effective and easily within the
reach and capabilities of any interested in them. The
Soviets did a lot of work with them up to the collapse
of the Russian system. Mostly with the River
Sturgeons, but Iran now has about the only working
program that I know of with them, and its more for
harvest then propagation.

I have kept small(young) River and Lake Sturgeon in
aquaria over the years and found them very easy to
maintain, with good growth rates. They are easy
feeders, and with
regular water changes make good growth rates. I used
to do at least a 50% change a week, sometimes a couple
times. They are good feeders, and also easy and hardy
keepers. I never used chillers but the water changes
are a must as they are heavy 'defecators' also. I have
had them from 5" long to almost 30" and they make
interesting subjects. I am going to be looking for
some
Lakes in the 5-8" range to start with, at that size
they eat well and adapt well to new conditions besides
being easiest to ship.

Hopefully you'll get the ap this week. I remember your
name from the ap and the envelope :-)

Is anyone else in NANFA doing anything with sturgeon?
jake