Re: NANFA-- Niches and the Concept of Hypersea

Jeffrey Fullerton (tcmajorr_at_westol.com)
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 02:15:19 -0500

> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 20:44:40 -0400
> From: Christopher Scharpf
> Subject: Re: NANFA-- Niches and the Concept of Hypersea
>

> Sorry, I should have written, "If nature (or God) designed these
> niches to be 'unused,' then maybe that's the way they should
> stay...until nature (or God) decides to fill them." I didn't mean to
> imply that these niches should remain "empty" or "unused" for
> eternity, only that humans shouldn't feel compelled to "fill" what's
> perceived to be "empty" or "wasted" space.
> Nature (or God) should have the option to do so, and invariably
> will over time.

Expansion of living things into new space is as much a fundamental part
of Nature as osmosis. It has survival value be you a plant, a pupfish or
a human. The universe is forever changing- those kind of opportunities
despite all the risks make the difference between being part of a
continuity of life and an evolutionary dead end.

I'll take the Terran Dispersal over the future of Dougal Dixon's "After
Man" any day!

Jeff