Re: NANFA-- dwarf sturgeon / captive breeding / refuguia

Jay DeLong (thirdwind_at_att.net)
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:36:04 -0800

<x-flowed>
At 09:36 AM 12/21/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>I really only meant to start a
>discussion by questioning one of the basic rules we all go by (no release of
>exotics for any reason) and there by possibly digging at the roots of our own
>rules and find out if they are indeed as inflexible and as important as they
>seem.

It's a great idea for discussion, Michael. This rule may be basic but not
one that everyone goes by-- not even everyone on this list, and certainly
no state fish and wildlife agency. Sadly, the people that feel this way
are a minority. But it is important for several reasons: (1) Personal- if
you want to protect your ability to collect and keep native fishes, (2)
Environmental- if you want to protect what's in your streams and lakes from
the well-documented negative effects of unwise releases, (3) Legacy-
putting our self-serving human nature aside to reflect that what's here was
here long before us, should persist during our time, and be passed on as we
would a family heirloom. Preserving biodiversity should be a fundamental
interest because we still have much to learn about nature and ourselves.

Why not release cheetahs in the States, too? They're fast enough to catch
a pronghorn or deer, and I guess there's room for a bunch of them in
Wyoming. The problem with the sturgeon isn't that there's no where to put
them, and making us feel guilty about that fish isn't going to help
either. We're losing thousands of species annually worldwide from habitat
destruction-- That's the problem, isn't it? You work towards a better
understanding of the real problem and everything else starts to take care
of itself.

--
Jay DeLong
Olympia, WA