Re: NANFA-- amazing bowfin factoid!

R.W.Wolff (choupiqu_at_wctc.net)
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 00:53:47 -0600

My second bowfin I kept, Jaws II , ( it was 1981) , was the most personalbe
fish. He could tell me from others, and also liked my Dad who fed him on
occassion. he'd hardly take a second look at a stranger, would lovingly
swim against the glass when i looked in on him. I would still have him
today, but he came down with a bad case of tape worms. I would have put
him up against any oscar. He didnt like tank mates except for spike, the
bullhead. He would de-fin and scale 8 inch green sunfish, since they
served no purpose as food. spike was small enough to eat, but Jaws II
ignored him totatly. I tried several tank mates with Jaws II, but all met
the same fate, if they weren't dinner, they were de-finned , and scaled, no
matter species or size.
Ray