Re: NANFA-- environment and the presidency

Christopher Scharpf (ichthos_at_charm.net)
Sun, 20 Feb 2000 19:06:01 -0400

Jay, thank you for sharing this. I agree 100%. States have done a miserable job
of protecting species and ecosystems. The Devils Hole pupfish (which you said
was in Arizona, but I'm sure you meant Nevada), is as much mine as it is a
Nevadan's. (Oh, and by the way, it was a Republican who signed the ESA into law
-- Richard Nixon -- perhaps the last significant environmental President.)

I think it's high time we've had another significant "environmental" president.
Although Gore has backed off a bit on his eco-gunghoism since his book came out
(politics as usual, I guess), he still has my vote because he's the only
candidate who's fully demonstrated to me that he understands environmental
issues.

I was particularly impressed by Gore when he practically single-handedly got the
US and Russian governments to declassify and share secret scientific data both
countries had ammassed on Antarctica (thinking it would be the safest place on
Earth after a nuclear holocaust). This information has proved invaluable is
studying all kinds of things, among them climatology and global warming (the
latter of which one politcal party calls a scientific hoax).

I'm a registered Independent after spending my formative years as a Republican.
I study the issues that are relevant to me and vote for the candidate
accordingly, irrespective of party.

Chris