NANFA-- website question- bowfin

Nick Zarlinga (njz_at_clevelandmetroparks.com)
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:03:00 -0500

Hi Shawn. Well, by your little write up here, I can tell you that you have
definitely come to the right place! As in the text book intro below, we are
a bunch of people who truly enjoy nature and all of the creatures in it,
with fish being our passion. We routinely discuss issues such that your
brought up regarding keeping native fish in captivity. There are many
members who are indeed breeding native fish. At this time, I am not
familiar with anyone breeding bowfin in captivity, however I am sure that it
can be done if given the amount of space they require. I would contact your
local division of wildlife to see what kind of permits, if any, would be
required to do this. You can get all the information on how to join NANFA
and also how to join our list server by going back to our website,
www.nanfa.org. (I urge you to join the list server since many of these
topics are routinely discussed.)

I will send your request about bowfin breeding to our list server. If there
are any responses, I will forward them to you. Thanks for visiting nanfa
and good luck.

Thanks for visiting NANFA. We are a diverse group of individuals,
professionals and amatuers alike, who share an interest in the conservation,
study and captive husbandry of North America's native fish. I will forward
your request to our list server, and any responses to your inquirery will be
forwarded to you. In addition, you may receive direct correspondence from
some of our members.

The purposes of the North American Native Fishes Association are:
-to increase and disseminate knowledge about native North American
Fishes;
-to promote practical programs for their conservation and the
protection/restoration of their natural habitats;
-to advance the educational, scientific and conservation benefits of
captive maintenance and husbandry;
-to encourage the legal, environmentally responsible collection of
native fishes for private aquaria as a valid use of a natrual resource;
-to provide a forum for the fellowship and camaraderie among its
members

Membership dues are $20 per year. Benefits include:
-AMERICAN CURRENTS - a quartarly publication featurning articles and
news items on collecting, keeping, observing, conserving and breeding North
American fishes.
-REGIONAL NANFA CHAPTERS - regional groups where members may get
together to collect and discuss native fishes, remove exotics, and perform
conservation and stream restoration work.
-NEW MEMBER PACKET - An 8 page newsletter that's sent to new NANFA
members intorducing them to NANFA and to the fascinating world of
collecting, keeping and conserving North America's native fishes.
-ANNUAL CONVENTION - Where NANFA members from around the country meet
for lectures, collecting trips, raffles, auctions, fun and finship.
-GRANT FUNDING - Yearly funding available through NANFA's Gerald C.
Corcoran Educational Grant made possible by NANFA members.

In addition, we also have a list server for the discussion of native fish
appreciation.

For details to all this and more, go to www.NANFA.org
<http://www.NANFA.org>.

Happy fishing!