Re: NANFA-- AP story: Fish kill surfaces in Indiana race

CEFCHURCH_at_aol.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 18:23:28 EST

In a message dated 1/19/00 3:45:04 PM US Central Standard Time,
rheopresbe_at_hotmail.com writes:

<< Chuck,

>I brought this up to the list a week or so ago but got no response. >The
>Indiana DNR website has a downloadable file that shows areas >containing
>endangered, at risk and species of special concern by >county.
<<snip>>
sorry, I meant to get to it and forgot. Below is a summary for affected
counties, transcribed from the IDNR web page. I'd bet almost anything that
most of the mussels listed occurred in the mainstem White- they aren't forms
that are usually found in small creeks. Does anyone else get the impression
that Indiana DNR is lying through their teeth, and trying to cover their
tails on this one?

cheers,
Dave

Madison Co:
Pleurobema calva, Toxolasma parvum

Hamilton Co:
Ligumia recta, Obovaria subrotunda, Pleurobema clava, Quadrula cylindrica,
Toxolasma parvum, Villosa lienosa, Ammocrypta pellucida.

Marion Co:
Alasmidonta viridis, Epioblasma torulosa rangiana, Epioblasma triquetra,
Obovaria subrotunda, Pleurobema clava, Toxolasma parvum,
Venustaconcha ellipsiformis, Villosa lienosa, Ammocrypta pellucida, and
Percina evides.

Johnson Co:
Alasmidonta viridis, Epioblasma torulosa rangiana, Epioblasma triquetra,
Lasmigona fasciolaris(sp?),Obovaria subrotunda, Pleurobema clava,
Ptychobranchus fasciolaris, Quadrula cylindrica, Simpsonais
ambigua,Toxolasma parvum, Villosa fabialis, Villosa lienosa, Etheostoma
histrio, and Fundulus catenatus.

Morgan Co:
Epioblasma torulosa rangiana, Lampsilis ovata,Ligumia recta, Obovaria
subrotunda, Pleurobema clava, Pleurobema pyramidatum, Quadrula cylindrica,
Toxolasma parvum, Percina evides.

Owen Co:
Fusconaia subrotunda, Lampsilis teres, Ligumia recta, Obovaria subrotunda,
Pleurbema clava, Pleurobema pyramidatum, Potamilis capax, Ptychobranchus
fasciolaris, Quadrula cylindrica, Ammocrypta pellucida. >>
~~~~~~~~~
REPLY:
For us amateur laymen, could I get some sort of break down as to what type of
life forms these are? Shellfish, fish, etc. Or direction to some site where
I can figure it out and maybe get a common name?

I will make comments on some of the above in a separate e-mail with another
header.

Chuck Church
Indianapolis, Indiana USA