RE: NANFA-- RE: Captive fish

Ken Wintin (kwintin_at_desertmuseum.org)
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 06:19:18 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: B.G. Granier [SMTP:bgkajun_at_worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 5:54 AM
To: nanfa_at_aquaria.net
Subject: NANFA-- RE: Captive fish

Someone once asked me if any fish I caught

BG,
From the view point of "The Hard Mistress" that was discussed in the
"catching minners for fish food" thread, a fish removed is a fish removed.
To the ecosystem involved, there is no difference between a fish that is
eaten, kept alive, or used for fertilizer. Even if we save all humankind
by removing a fish, that doesn't change the fact that fish is gone from the
wild and cannot contribute to the gene pool, cannot eat bug larvae, or
anything else. It often comes down to a choice of the greater good
according to whoever is making the decision. I am not pooh, poohing the
taking of fish, but trying to look at things from a "biological" view
point. If it is OK to take fish for the aquarium, and I believe that it is
in most cases, then it is OK to take them for whatever reason. We all
want to take good care of our wards once we have them, and that is a very
important issue to time-conscious, morality-capable types like us humans.
What I think is important is that we be aware of the possible results of
our actions. I really don't think that many, if any, of the NANFA folks
would intentionally torment their fish, or impact the natural populations
in any negative manner. I have even heard that many Louisiana Cajun folk,
let the fish hear some of that bon ton zydeco music before they get
blackened. Is that true?
Ken